What do you do with all of the dyed eggs when Easter is over? We love deviled eggs, but don’t forget about yummy egg salad! Here’s my personal recipe below. Try using different kinds of bread, too. You can get variations of flavor with rye, white, or croissants. I personally love egg salad on rye bread.
- 10 hard boiled eggs
- 1/2 cup of Kraft Miracle Whip (Mayo is BIG in the South, and if you want to use mayo, you can. But the Miracle Whip adds a pleasant tang, so I use it in my egg salad.)
- 3/4 tbsp. of dry mustard
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- To cook the eggs place them in a cold, large saucepan. Cover with one inch (or a finger tip) of cold water. Once the water starts to boil, reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes. Remove and place in an ice bath until completely cooled.
- Peel cooked eggs and rinse with water to remove all bits of shell. “Surprise” shell is very unpleasant!
- Cut eggs in half; Separate the yolks from the whites.
- Chop the whites; Smash the yolks with a fork; Combine in a large bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. If you prefer more Miracle Whip, salt, or pepper–add to taste.
- Chill before serving.
Use this method to boil all of your eggs to avoid those weird green yolks. Eggs are one of those starchy foods, like pasta, that continue to cook even after you turn off the heat. The ice bath stops the cooking. No rubber eggs, please!